Tshaonline.org View population and growth

TSHA Census and Census Records

Details: A census is an official count or survey of a population that typically records various details about the individuals enumerated. Thus, the numerous estimates of the population of Texas in its early years, such as the one in Henderson Yoakum's History of Texas (1855), were not censuses. Also, given that most Texas Indians roamed widely across the …

› Verified 9 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/census-and-census-records Go Now

› Get more:  IndiaGo Now

TSHA Pickton, TX

Details: The population fell to 250 by 1966 and to ninety by the early 1970s. In the mid-1980s Pickton still had three churches, a post office, a school, four businesses, a cemetery, and a number of houses. In 1993 the population was estimated at ninety, and the community reported thirteen businesses. In 2000 the population was still listed at ninety.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pickton-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Coahuiltecan Indians

Details: The total Indian population and the sizes of basic population units are difficult to assess. The number of valid ethnic groups in the region is unknown, as are what groups existed at any selected date. Population figures are fairly abundant, but many refer to displaced group remnants sharing encampments or living in mission villages.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/coahuiltecan-indians Go Now

› Get more:  IndiaGo Now

TSHA Rio Grande Valley

Details: The combined population of the four lower Rio Grande valley counties grew to 320,484 by 1950, then remained relatively stable through the 1950s and 1960s. The 1970s and 1980s witnessed dramatic growth in the Valley, as the population rose to 537,811 in 1980 and more than 700,000 in 1990.

› Verified 1 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rio-grande-valley Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Late Nineteenth-Century Texas

Details: The population of Texas grew rapidly from 1,591,749 in 1880 to 2,235,527 by 1890 and reached 3,048,710 in 1900. In addition to the natural growth of already resident population, a steady migration came from other states, primarily in the South.

› Verified 3 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/late-nineteenth-century-texas Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA DeWitt County

Details: The population in 1980 was 18,903; in 1990 it was 18,840. The Black population fell from almost 19 percent to almost 14 percent between 1920 and 1960. Throughout most of the its history, however, the county has ranked as one of the highest in the state in percent of residents who are native Texans.

› Verified 7 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dewitt-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Singleton, TX

Details: The population declined rapidly after World War II, falling to an estimated twenty in 1949. In 1961 the town reported an estimated fifty residents and one rated business. The population continued at this level for decades, and by 1990 Singleton reported an estimated forty people and no rated businesses. In 2000 the population was forty-four.

› Verified 6 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/singleton-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Sattler, TX

Details: Its population was estimated at thirty in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000. Categories Citation Published Places: Communities The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sattler-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Ashtola, TX

Details: Between 1949 and 1966 Ashtola had an estimated population of fifty. In 1968 the population was estimated at twenty-five. From 1970 to 1990 it was estimated at twenty. By 2000 the population grew to twenty-five.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ashtola-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA San Saba County

Details: The county population was 10,273 in 1930 and 11,012 in 1940. That year there were 11,327 cattle, 127,207 sheep, and 63,911 goats in the county. Oats, pecans, and peaches continued as primary crops, but wheat production was surpassed by sorghum and corn, with 70,032 bushels of sorghum and 190,633 bushels of corn harvested in 1940.

› Verified 9 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/san-saba-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Twitty, TX

Details: The population was then estimated at twenty-five. In 1930 the town had a population of 100, the gin, three stores, a church, and a rural school. Since the 1930s high school students have been bused to Shamrock. Although Twitty reported only one business in 1980, its population had remained fairly stable with an estimate of 116.

› Verified 3 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/twitty-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Sabine County

Details: Sabine County's population grew from 1,021 in 1847 to 2,498 in 1850, of which 1,556 were Anglo-Americans and 942 were African-American slaves. The population was 2,750 in 1860. During the Civil War the county was the scene of a Confederate supply trail along which cattle were driven to Natchez, Mississippi.

› Verified 7 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sabine-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Las Vegas, TX

Details: Las Vegas had a population of fifty in 1915, after which no population statistics are available for the community. By 1917 Las Vegas had lost its post office; and in the mid-1940s the site had one dwelling. A 1972 map showed no buildings at the site. Bibliography

› Verified 6 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/las-vegas-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Loyola Beach, TX

Details: The population of Loyola Beach grew in the 1960s and 1970s, as land along the water was subdivided and sold for permanent and vacation homes. In 1975 the Baffin Bay Water Supply Corporation was formed by interested property owners, and the corporation eventually supplied water to residents of Loyola Beach, Vattman, and Riviera Beach.

› Verified 9 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/loyola-beach-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Spring, TX

Details: The estimated population of the school district is 75,000. In 1990 Spring had a population of 33,111. The population was 36,385 in 2000. Bibliography Categories Citation Published Herbert Eugene Bolton, Texas in the Middle …

› Verified 3 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/spring-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Roanoke, TX

Details: The population of Roanoke rose slowly, reaching 585 by the early 1960s, where it remained until the 1980s, when the town's proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth caused a dramatic increase to 1,616 by 1990. In 1980 Roanoke had two manufacturers producing and processing chemicals, but by 1990 it had eight manufacturers producing concrete, cabinets

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/roanoke-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Lafayette, TX

Details: The community's population in 1940 was listed as eighty, and it continued to decline during the 1950s, to a low of sixty in 1958. In the mid-1960s LaFayette had a community center, two churches, two cemeteries, and a number of scattered houses. In 1990 the town was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of eighty.

› Verified 6 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lafayette-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Renner, TX

Details: In 1915 its population reached 300, a figure that was not surpassed until 1965. The Great Depression and the development of mechanized farming contributed to a sharp decline in population, and by 1947 Renner had 100 residents and two businesses.

› Verified 3 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/renner-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA New Sweden, TX

Details: By 1900 its population had increased to 104. The post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail for the community was sent to Manor. By the early 1930s the number of residents had fallen to twenty-five, but by the end of the decade the population was reported at sixty. New Sweden served as the focus of a common-school district until the early

› Verified 7 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/new-sweden-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Big Spring, TX

Details: The population of Big Spring had grown to 13,375 by 1930. By 1936 there were 810 wells in production in the surrounding oilfields. The Big Spring State Hospital for the mentally ill was opened in 1939. The city's growth was halted briefly in the late 1930s, and its population fell to 12,604 in 1940 but then revived again during World War II

› Verified 7 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/big-spring-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Truscott, TX

Details: Later, though, because of the growth of larger mechanized farms in the area, Truscott lost much of its population and most of its major businesses. In 1970 and 1980 Truscott was on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line and reported 187 residents. It still had a post office in the late 1980s. In 1990 its population was still estimated at 187.

› Verified 5 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/truscott-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Northfield, TX

Details: The population was the same in 1980. In 1990 it was listed as fifteen, where it remained in 2000. Bibliography Categories Citation Published Eleanor Traweek, Of Such as These: A History of Motley County and Its Families (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1973). Places: Communities

› Verified 7 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/northfield-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Vietnamese

Details: Vietnamese generally moved to urban centers such as Houston, Dallas, and Austin and to seacoast areas. In 1981 Texas had the second largest number of Vietnamese of any state, 40,000, and Houston had more than any American city outside of California. In 1985 the total Texas Vietnamese population was estimated at 52,500, but the actual number was

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/vietnamese Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Starrville, TX

Details: In 1950 Starrville had a population of 100 and four businesses. By 1952 the school had been absorbed into the Gladewater system but was later transferred to the Winona Independent School District. Maps for 1966 showed a church and ten dwellings. In 1973 the population was seventy-five, and the community had two businesses, a church, and a cemetery.

› Verified 7 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/starrville-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Davilla, TX

Details: Davilla's population level began a slow decline in the late 1890s, falling from 500 in 1896 to 400 in the 1920s to 300 in the mid-1940s. By the early 1970s only seventy-two residents were reported there. In the 1980s, however, this downward trend reversed. The 1988 county highway map showed five churches and several businesses in the area, and

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/davilla-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Segovia, TX

Details: The population declined to an estimated ten in the early 1930s and grew to twenty in 1949, sixty-three in 1966, eighty-nine in 1970, and 101 in 1974. The post office in Segovia was closed by 1964, but its general store and a truck stop were still open in 1976. The population in the mid-1980s was 101, and in 1990 it was estimated at twenty-five.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/segovia-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Littig, TX

Details: The population of Littig was reported as thirty-seven from the late 1960s through 2000. Bibliography Categories Citation Published Austin History Center Files. Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). Card Files, Division of State Funding, Texas Education Agency, Austin.

› Verified 3 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/littig-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Lyons, TX (Burleson County)

Details: In 1990 Lyons, with a population of 360, had its own water system, three grocery stores, several antique shops, a car wash, an auto body shop, and a post office. At that time the Home Demonstration Club was active and owned its own building. There were also four churches in the community. The site of Lyons is located above the Austin Chalk

› Verified 8 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lyons-tx-burleson-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Goodnight, TX (Armstrong County)

Details: The population dropped from 200 in 1944 to twenty-five in 1969. Despite the filming of Hud in Goodnight in 1963, activity in the town continued to decrease, and the post office closed by 1969. As of 1984 only one church and the community cemetery remained, along with the Goodnight Ranch facilities. In 2000 the population was eighteen.

› Verified 3 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/goodnight-tx-armstrong-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Medicine Mound, TX

Details: The community moved 2½ miles north in 1908, when the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway was built. At one time Medicine Mound had a population of 500 and twenty-two businesses, including a newspaper (the Citizen). A fire in 1932 destroyed most of the business buildings, and few were rebuilt. In 1940 the town had six stores and 210 people.

› Verified 1 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/medicine-mound-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Bledsoe, TX

Details: By 1936 the population had declined to 150, and only ten businesses remained. The primary reasons for this decline were the lack of water and the decreasing need for the railroad. By 1970 the population level at Bledsoe had stabilized at 125, where it remained in 2000, when three businesses were operating there.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bledsoe-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Bethlehem, TX (Upshur County)

Details: In the mid-1960s Bethlehem had a church, a cemetery, a store, and a few houses. In 1990 the church and cemetery were still maintained, and Bethlehem reported a population of twenty-five. The population grew to seventy-five in 2000.

› Verified Just Now

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bethlehem-tx-upshur-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Lodi, TX (Marion County)

Details: Its population grew to eighty by 1890, and the Lodi school had sixteen pupils in 1899. The community population grew to 133 in 1904 and an estimated 175 in 1925, then fell to an estimated 150 in the 1930s and stayed at that level through the 1950s. In 1938 the Lodi school had an enrollment of fourteen elementary-level students.

› Verified 5 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lodi-tx-marion-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Sunny Side, TX (Waller County)

Details: The population of Sunny Side numbered around 100 in the 1930s, when two cotton gins operated there. From the late 1940s through the mid-1960s the population was estimated at twenty, but from 1968 through 1990 it was reported as 120, where it remained in 2000. The cotton gin apparently closed long before the post office ceased operations in 1969.

› Verified 1 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sunny-side-tx-waller-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Ashland, TX

Details: By 1945 the population had fallen to twenty. In the mid-1960s Ashland had a church, a cemetery, and a few houses. In 1990 the church and cemetery were still at the site, and Ashland was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of twenty. By 2000 the population had grown to forty-five.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ashland-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Grand Prairie, TX

Details: The population of Grand Prairie had increased from 1,263 in 1925 to 1,595 by World War II. The first wartime-era addition was the Naval Reserve Aviation Base, built in 1940 on thirty acres of Hensley Field to be used by the army and navy for flight training. After Pearl Harbor was bombed a $1.5 million expansion was implemented.

› Verified Just Now

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grand-prairie-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Ames, TX (Liberty County)

Details: Ames had a population of twenty-five in 1930. The county set up a new voting box there in 1945. In 1972 Ames voters incorporated their town by a margin of 69 to 8. During the mid-1970s the town's population was estimated at 350, and by 1980 Ames had 1,155 residents and an array of businesses. The population was 989 in 1990 and grew to 1,079 in

› Verified 6 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ames-tx-liberty-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Victoria, TX (Victoria County)

Details: The population was 806, including 649 Whites and 157 slaves, in a county inhabited by 2,019 people, of which 623 were slaves. By 1860 there were 1,986 residents in Victoria, including 521 slaves and one free Black man, and the town had become a major junction between Lavaca Bay ports, San Antonio, Austin, and northern Mexico.

› Verified 1 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/victoria-tx-victoria-county Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Shafter, TX

Details: The potential for renewed economic activity in the area led to a slight rebound in population, which reached approximately fifty-seven in 2009. The Canada-based Aurcana Corporation acquired the mining project in 2008 and completed construction of a new mine portal and a 24,000 square foot warehouse complex by 2012.

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shafter-tx Go Now

› Get more:  CanadaGo Now

TSHA Mankins, TX

Details: The population had risen to eighty-five by the late 1920s, and it remained at that level through the 1930s. Sometime during this period the town constructed a brick building that served as a four-year high school, the community center, and the church. The Methodists were the only organized denomination in Mankins until 1936, when the Baptists

› Verified 4 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mankins-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

TSHA Tarkington Prairie, TX

Details: In 2009 the population was estimated at 300. The Tarkington Prairie Historical Society is located on FM 163 near one of the schools. Bibliography Categories Citation Image Use Disclaimer Published Cleveland Advocate, November 26, 1936. Historical Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.

› Verified 5 days ago

› Url: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tarkington-prairie-tx Go Now

› Get more:  PopulationGo Now

Related topics